Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Working by the numbers -- THREEs

So the book I haven't written, but that is taking shape in my head is called Simply Three: Living, Learning and Thriving in a Complex World.
The more work I do with students of all ages the more strategies and tools I explore that are based on my "rule of three."  Ask just about any student with whom I have worked and they will be familiar with this idea.  It's not a new concept, and certainly I learned it from somewhere, but I do find that with every sitting, I "invent" a new way to utilize this rule of three.  Here are just a few:

Three stages of preparing for an important assessment
1. Build your fund of knowledge --Learn by reading, questioning, connecting, thinking and interacting
2. Recite and deepen your fund of knowledge by articulating what you know, incrementally -- PRACTICE, Correct and Reflect (look, another THREE!)
3. Take or create a practice test that mimics the real assessment -- this allows for "the testing effect"

Three steps for approaching a problem to be solved (I thought of this today on my way home AFTER working with a twenty-something student struggling to track information in word problems)
1.  Identify the critical elements (bits of information) within the problem to be solved
2. Consider the relationship(s) between these critical elements and the prompt for solution
3. Designate a first next step for moving toward solution

Three questions to ask when evaluating or critiquing the written word (When I teach critical reading or comparative essay writing, I use these questions)
1.  What is the point the author is making?
2. How does s/he go about making that point?
3.  What's missing in the article or what questions do I have with which to move forward?

How to create meaningful flashcards
1. Jot down the critical information to be mastered
2. Include two bits of information that connect the critical information to other content
3. Consider an example or a visual representation that can trigger a reminder for key words or concepts

How to manipulate flashcards once they are made  (It's not about "running them" word for word on the front and back)
1. Select 8-10 cards from your deck and sort them into THREE categories [first pass]
2. Articulate the categories and name all the cards that fall into each category [second pass]
3. After sorting, pick a pile then lay out the cards and talk through what and how these items relate to each other -- both similarities and differences; do this for all cards in one stack and for each stack. Work beyond the information contained within the card to incorporate more of what you know [third pass]
* helpful hint: Articulate the name/terms on the card -- Avoid using "it" or "they" -- the more accurate and specific auditory input to generate, the more will "stick" in your head.

Please post you Rules of Three -- I'd love to swap strategies!

No comments:

Post a Comment